Many countries absolve the need to acquire Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for its citizens. The government of Canada has brought in electronic travel authorization (eTA) for such candidates.
What is eTA?
eTA is a pre-screening system that has been flaunted through 2015 and 2016. Before this system was raised by the government, the visa exempt international citizens looked for entry to Canada but could not get any program for their admissibility unless until they reached a Canadian port of entry.
After the introduction of the new eTA system, the basic objective of this program is to support a stress-free travel for the individuals who didn’t require a visa in their home country. These candidates can now complete an online form before departure.
Note: until 29th September 2016, the individuals who are traveling to Canada but do not have an eTA can board their flight along with the required documents like a valid passport. As long as these candidates meet the minimum requirements given by Canada, the border services offers shall let them enter without an eTA in the province.
Candidates who belong from visa exempt countries will require the eTA before they depart if they intend to travel through the air. But there are expulsions to this setting such as for citizens of US. They will not need a TRV or eTA and Green Card holders in the US who intend to come to Canada despite their nationality.
The pre-approval system of Canada is mandatory only for TRV-exempt candidates to look towards entering to Canada on a temporary basis.
The individuals who finally need an eTA to temporarily move to Canada will have to fill in the asked personal information and answer some basic questions that related to criminality and medical issues.
The requirements to complete the online form are:
- A valid passport from a visa-exempt country.
- A credit card to pay $7.00 CAD fee,
- A valid email address
- Internet access for a minimal amount of time.
The validity of eTA is 5 years starting from the day it is issued by the applicant. If it is initiated before the end of the day on which:
- The applicant’s passport or other traveling documents expire
- The eTA is canceled
- A new eTA is issued to the interested individuals.
The eTA form includes the following entries:
- date and place of birth
- and passport
- other travel document information
If the applicant making the application is physically or mentally disabled and thus cannot make an online application, then a paper application form can be filled. There are many other means for the exceptions.
A number of privileges from the need to receive pre-approval to travel include:
- United States nationals,
- Applicants who are already in possession of a Canadian temporary resident visa,
- some foreign diplomats,
- commercial aircrew,
- native members of France who are residents of St. Pierre and Miquelon,
- candidates who are in possession of a visa to arrive United States on a flight designated for that country in passage through Canada, where the only purpose of the flight stopping in Canada is the requirement of refuelling,
- individuals crossing Canada as a passenger on a flight who are in ownership of any visa required to enter the country of landing place;
- candidates pursuing official duties as a member of the armed forces of a country that is an entitled state for the intention of the Visiting Forces Act,
- study or work permit owners re-entering Canada subsequent to a visit individually to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon
- Her sovereignty in right of Canada and any associate of the Royal Family.